Tuesday, March 14, 2006

An Air of Mystery

Railway stations by day can be desolate places, windswept, litter-strewn, sometime havens for society's jetsam. But at night, with the right lighting, they become places of mystery. This image was taken at Evesham yesterday evening. I love the contrast between the cold starkly lit platform and the warm inviting interior of the coaches.

Trains, even the modern soulless varieties that populate today's railways, still evoke a sense of adventure, the chance of a passage to fresh pastures, to new experiences. What will the last passengers on this London to Hereford express find at their destination?

Ah, there's the rub. A pleasant place, Hereford, an ancient cathedral city in the west. But not exciting, not the place one would choose for a frolic or a change of life. I think I'd change at Worcester and head south.

5 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

I have no idea how you've managed to make this look like a continental railway, Dave, but it does to me. It's very clean and tidy.

Anonymous said...

Cheltenham?

shara said...

This picture is, for me, the visual equivalent of the sound of a far-off train whistle heard late at night when everyone else in inside the house asleep. It makes me feel a delicious, luxurious melancholy. I want to be a hobo riding the trains, heating up cans of beans over an open flame by the side of the tracks.

Canbush said...

Firstly apologies for the delay in replying. Bloggerwas down the day before I disappeared off to the Internet desert.

Kevin - it's Evesham though it doesn't look like it.

Bluesmama - count me in for the beans. Lying in a hotel bedroom on Banff listening to the CPR freights hooting for the crossing just outside town and echoing off the mountains is a sound to die for - absolute magic.

Lee - I know, it's strange, it must be the quality of the lighting which is fairly recent. I shall be down there with my long lens sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

No, I was guessing your ideal destination (south at Worcester) would be Cheltenham. Was it?

I realise that that was Evesham station! Regards