Friday, March 24, 2006

Worshipping a Sun God

At the risk of wearying everyone but myself, I return to one of my favourite subjects - light through windows: sub-category; churches.

The glory of the sun. Surely the Egyptians had it right; if you must worship something, the sun's the man. What a splendid array of light and shadow our local star bestows upon us through the west window of Cirencester Parish Church. It is an uplifting and awesome experience but one that's not without peril; it's effects can easily coerce the unwary, the spiritually susceptible, into beliefs for which there is no substance.

But fear not. This experience can also be furnished by any magnicently crafted building with the right sort of orifices for light projection. So that's a relief.

So it needn't be a church but such edifices are often the only ones readily available that can provide salvation for the illumination junkie. That is why we should support them, as buildings, as memorials to real craft skills. Then perhaps they can take on new persona after their strange rites have been ushered back into the darkness from whence they came.

4 comments:

shara said...

I love the photo, and the text. Especially that last perfectly said paragraph; I feel completely the same. Churches are such lovely places; sadly, religion is rarely about love and more about indoctrination and control. Obedience training for the soul. Kind of like mandatory public schooling, but oh my, don't get me started on that.

Canbush said...

Thanks Bluesmama. I just can't resist these images. I often wander into the church in Cirencester to see what the sun is up to. There's one particular image of a carved angel with a ukelele that I'm waiting for it to strike. It helps that I'm always carrying a camera.

I believe I was baptised in this church - obviously the holy water didn't get absorbed.

Peter Bryenton said...

You and I arrived with waterproof souls.

Canbush said...

Just as well - they'll be untarnished then.