Saturday, March 25, 2006

A Bit of Bitching

I've been lighting representatives of the fairer sex over the last few days and there's nothing like it for pointing up the differences between those with star quality and those without. One of my subjects was a British actress, a former star of a big-shoulder-pad American soap. I admit that l was a bit wary of her - I've been given the run round by Hollywood divas in the past. So I was pleasantly surprised. She knew exactly how to position herself to make the best of the available lighting and thanked me for my efforts.

At the other end of the scale was a chat/quiz show host whose continuing presence on the television screen must be a surprise to many. We had met before and unfortunately my skill in the manufacture of silk purses has not improved in the intervening years. She appeared on set. I was summoned imperiously. I did my best. A smile in return would have been appreciated but I wasn’t expecting one so I wasn't disappointed. As is so often the case, least talent, most hassle.

None of the above has anything much to do with this reflection shot of a Morrison's carrier bag. It just caught my eye. We were out at Compass Cove indulging in simple pleasures such as throwing sticks for dogs and helping beetles to mate - having just thought about that, how much more interesting it might have been if we were helping dogs to mate and throwing sticks for beetles.

I can't remember what Peter had in his bag. The fact that he was wantonly advertising another of Britain's despised supermarket chains is worthy of reproach. Perhaps it was flapjacks - Peter and Sparkly are always good for a scrummy flapjack. Strange though, that I can't remember for certain if food was involved. It's a worrying sign of senile decrepitude if you can't recall food experiences. I'd better go and find some chocolate so that I can check that I'm not suffering from some form of sensory deprivation.

6 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Flapjacks it was, purchased from a bakery, not the big yellow M.

Canbush said...

I thought that was the case, I vaguely remember the bakery.

shara said...

It's hard to tell if that's the reflection of the bag or if there's an entirely separate bag under the water. Like Alice's Looking Glass world.

Canbush said...

I think it was that very quality that attracted me in the first place. Perhaps it's an effect of the flat lighting.

I noticed it when Peter was wandering up and down on the other side to the pool (he was probably searching for beetles introduce to eash other). I got him to pose this shot for me - not something I'd normally do but it seemed to be worth the effort.

shara said...

You were talking about arranging lighting to flatter, the picture seems quite in tune with the text to me, just flapjacks instead of shoulder pads. Just like the hinge photo, I think the plastic bag would be flattered that you had seen beauty in it and taken pains to make sure someone else might see it too.

Canbush said...

Flattering plastic bags - what other goal in life is there?