Monday, June 26, 2006

Crisp Linen

There can be nothing more inviting than the crispy whiteness of a freshly laid table, all set out with eating irons and glassware. I itch to sit down in front of it, expectant, salivating, and yes, apprehensive. For I know that within minutes (seconds if I'm having soup as a first course), I will have soiled this pristine snow with a dollop of something.

The other night I took the table cloth's virginity with a lump of delicious apple chutney. I quickly scooped it back on to the plate but, as is the way of the world, the juicy chunks had left their mark. To make things worse, they'd fallen in a spot where I couldn't realistically cover the stain with the side plate or a repositioned spoon.

For the rest of the meal that stain kept catching my eye, a forlorn reminder of my inadequacy with cutlery.

11 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Providing work for the laundry is an essential part of a value-added eating experience.

shara said...

Exactly, Lee. Imagine years in the future, someone looking reverently at a stretched white square of linen with an apple chutney stain and deliberating with great seriousness and many far too complicated words about how this was from Dave's "Relish" period and talking endlessly about the significance of the shape of the stain.

And then, next to that display, there will be the collection of similiarly stained shirts..

Canbush said...

Brilliant, fellow travellers.

Oddly enough, Bluesmama, i added to the shirt collection at breakfast this morning - I now have 'Lilac shirt with mushroom and baked bean stain' in my collection.

You know me so well!

Anonymous said...

"The true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good."

I believe this quote is attributable to Ann Landers

Josephine said...

Ha! I think it is a mark of your exuberance at the table, so eager and joyful to experience the wonders that are before you.

A good bad habit to have!

Canbush said...

Thanks for the crediting the quote - I'll change it when I next tinker with the template.

Thanks, Josephine. I just need to teach myself to eat more slowly now!

shara said...

Fellow travellers, I like that.

Canbush said...

Bluesmama, we may not be on the same paths but we're in touch and hopefully travelling to a welcoming destination.

Flea said...

I like that saying. I will remember that one!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Fine linen, the sign of impeccable breeding and taste.

Canbush said...

Indeed.