Friday, June 30, 2006

Three White Flowers

I'm probably not as committed to photographing groups of three as my friend Peter but I do like to capture them when they stray into the compass of my lens.

These flowers, which may or may not be daisies, were growing on the top of the battlements of Skenfrith Castle, a derelict fortification in Monmouthshire. I took them with a long lens while lying on the grass on my back; it was a pleasant position to be in and very conducive to a short nap. However a party of school children rendered the aural landscape unsuitable for such an activity (or lack of it).

I've got the laptop outside on the decking this evening. It's half past nine but still light and cool after a torrid day. The air is scented by roses and honeysuckle. In a while a bat will pay us its daily visit. There is very little sound, just the competing songs of thrush and blackbird, a cooing dove in the far distance and the horn and muted roar of a train from London wending its way up the Vale to Worcester.

An empty bottle of New Zealand Sauvignan Blanc sits on the table, a crisp, fruity little number, much enjoyed by us both. Pixie has been polishing up a leather bag she bought today so we briefly had the intoxicating smell of polish added to the mix. I think evenings are all about scent. And reflection.

8 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Heaven scent, no doubt. The flowers, while of daisy-form, are most certainly of the familiy Composite, of which the daisy is but one.

Peter Bryenton said...

Was Pixie using Kiwi polish?

Canbush said...

Thanks for the info, J Cosmo

Lee - and what would you suggest for a good Australian white, other than Margaret River?

No, Peter, it was (Lee, please note) Australian, from R M Williams.

Flea said...

That sounds so lovely.
Who played "She loves me, she loves me not, she loves me..." with the daisies?

Canbush said...

Thanks, Kilroy 60, for your pantheonic bequest.

Hannelie, I don't know but it was on top on a high and fairly inaccessible wall - perhaps the person fell off before reaching a conclusion. How tragic!

Flea said...

LOL, I hope at least his/her last pluck was a LOVE ME!!

Josephine said...

Um...can I come live with you and Pixie?

Canbush said...

So do I, Hanellie.

Josephine - hop on the next plane.
(Actually it's too warm here at the moment - the country is wilting under unaccustomed heat)