Friday, June 23, 2006

Pastries

I didn't get where I am today without liking pastries. They have a magnetic attraction, a wilful possessive nature that takes hold of my visual and olefactory senses. As a result, I eat too many.

It's not too bad in the UK as, with a few exceptions, what's on offer tends to be a bit uninspiring. I suppose that Eccles Cakes are my favourite, along with anything with apple or marzipan in it (or apple and marzipan, let's not be too fussy).

In France, I come seriously unstuck. I really need to plan routes around French towns that avoid patisseries altogether. I just cannot pass one without my feet turning through the door. My downfall are millefeuilles, a flaky, layered sandwich of pastry and vanilla flavoured custard, topped with icing.

I try and ration myself to no more than one a day.

You have to make an effort, don't you?

7 comments:

Susan Lucente said...

I am a fellow pastry addict. Love them all... can't get enough. :-)

Pauline said...

Gravity, gravy, and French pastries will all have their way with us. Have you ever tried a delicious little French delicacy made with a pastry crust, a layer of jam, and a light sponge cake topping?

Josephine said...

You make me wish I were you! That sounds delightful...

Peter Bryenton said...

Love the Escher window distortion.

I broke my farinaceous fast and ate scones with jam and cream today. Well, life needs a little lift from time to time. Or daily.

Canbush said...

Ah, Susan, a fellow devotee, we must form a society for the Promotion of Pastries.

You see right through me, Lee.

Probably, Pauline, it sounds a bit like a gateau Basque which comes with either a cherry jam or an almond paste layer. Delicious

You'd have to give up running, Josephine.

Good on you, Peter, let the summer commence.

Neoma said...

Ahhhhhh yes......my Motto in life is "Eat Dessert First, Life Is Uncertain".

There was a little pastry shop on Venice Beach, French undoubtedly, that served some of the best delicacies. They sound very much like your millefeuilles. They did however, have sliced peaches on top of the custard and crust. They were so good.......I had just about forgotten them. Until now. Ohhhhhhhh I can almost taste them........

shara said...

I remember a birthday card a friend sent me with a cartoon drawing of a woman in bed on her knees with hands over her ears, while in the background a pie on the kitchen counter called out, "Edna...eat me...eat me Edna.." and the card was signed from your friend who heeds the call of the wild saskatoon-berry pie.

It's probably nothing like an Eccles cake, but it's certainly tasty.