Monday, June 05, 2006

Germs

I write short stories for my own amusement, partly, I suppose, because I enjoy playing with words. It's another of those small life-changing/enhancing tasks I've set myself now I'm in my fifties and can feel the ground growing slimy and beginning to tilt ever more quickly in the direction of downwards.

These stories often get their themes from photographs I've taken. The entrance to a derelict chapel, a tree standing in a dewy field, a rusting railway wagon, all have all provided the seed.

I have a feeling that this image of the shelter on the pier at Talloires in Savoy will do the same. It has many elements that appeal to me - loneliness, waiting, mystery, darkness, water, solitude, light. I'm not sure I could weave an optimistic tale from this picture although that would be a challenge worth rising to.

I also think it might provide the germ for a poem.

Over to you.

June 6th

I've received the following evocative contribution from Peter
Illuminated ghosts of day trippers,
Sweetly tired from relaxing.
Queuing for the return ferry,
Aboard which they will cast off their freedom,
As it hauls them back to mundane routines

Any more?

6 comments:

Susan Lucente said...

The dark sky and approaching nightfall do give it sort of an ominous look...as if something is about to happen or some earlier sadness still lingers there.

Peter Bryenton said...

Illuminated ghosts of day trippers,
Sweetly tired from relaxing.
Queuing for the return ferry,
Aboard which they will cast off their freedom,
As it hauls them back to mundane routines.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Susan. Perhaps there's been a tearful departure, I could pair it with the station waiting room I did earlier for a series of parting places - thanks for the idea!

Excellent, Peter, very succinct. I'm tranferring it to the main body of the blog.

Flea said...

I think it makes a lovely smallish outdoor wedding venue, in full sunshine, it will be nice. I can aleady see the big white strapless gown and white roses tied to the wooden arches.

Canbush said...

That makes a great image, Hannelie. I wonder if it's been used that way.

Flea said...

If not Dave, I hope it happens soon.