Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Taint of National Geographic

A couple of days ago I was chatting to Mikhail Bralowski, a photographer with nearly fifty years experience as a professional image maker. In the course of our conversation, I discovered that apparently I belong to the National Geographic School of Photography. The reason? It's my obsession with a splash of red.

It's years since I was last in a waiting room full of ten-year-old National Geographic magazines so I can't remember if the native dancers depicted therein had red loin clothes (or none at all) or whether the dhows sailed away into the sunset, wafted along under scarlet sails. I'm also not sure if it's a compliment or a curse.

Whatever. Here's another image with a splash of muted red. I like the challenge of making something out of the dark, dingy corners of churches, the parts where they keep the byres, watering cans, odd bits of ancient liturgical impedimenta and spare priests.

5 comments:

Flea said...

I think if I'd walked into that room I would've thought What a ruin, but looking at the photo with the 'splash of red' I am thinking...How beautifull.
My son asked once how does one take photo's and travel all over the world and we said you should work for National Geographic :)

Peter Bryenton said...

Did it perhaps start in the Joseph McCarthy era?

Josephine said...

Crakle, spark, chirp-chirp...i LOVE this

Darius said...

Yes, the spare priests are often found in the back corners. They can be hard to move - stuck in their positions. But same goes for many of the first stringers.

Canbush said...

Thank you, all. I shall endeavour to search out more mysterious corners what emerges - human or otherwise