Monday, January 09, 2006

Back to Lyme

I think I'm in the grip of Seasonal Affective Disorder as I keeping searching through images from the last few months to find any that have a glimmer of sun in them. I've come across a couple that I shot in Lyme Regis back in October. One of them falls into the 'postcard' category, the other into the 'reflection for the sake of it' group.

It's a tricky time of the year for the photographer-on-a-bike. It takes a real effort of will to get on the machine in the first place, encumbered by four or five layers of clothing (yes, I know all about layering). Then I cycle into town and back, about ten miles, and how many pictures do I take? Usually none - it has to be pretty worthwhile to persuade me to get my gloves off. Still I always find that if I go out looking for them, nothing appears.

The sort of photography that I'm into relies heavily on keeping my eyes open, a liking for the quirky things in life and a liberal helping of serendipity - my friend Peter is a master of this approach. The pioneers like Ansel Adams and O Winston Link could achieve their images with tons of equipment and an infinity of time and patience. I usually have to settle for an Ixus 50 and a beanbag. That suits me fine.

On a totally different tack, spare a thought for an overweight cat called Benji living in Hampshire. It's so fat that it couldn't run away when attacked by a pet rabbit. It's now on a diet. Just goes to show that it's a rabbit-eat-cat world.

2 comments:

shara said...

The "reflection for the sake of it' group sounds - oh, I hate to say it, but - lovely.

Canbush said...

There's nothing wrong with 'lovely' - stand by it!. The word I was taught to avoid at school was 'nice'. I try to but it's not easy. 'Gorgeous' is one of my favourites but I work in a bit of a 'lovey' industry so it's used as a joke!