Saturday, January 28, 2006

Ode to an Expiring Biro

This pen is nearly out; inkless, no more
To write my words across the virgin page,
Or doodle nonsense in the margin, if,
Some mindless fancies do my thoughts engage.

It's served me well, this slim clear Perspex stick.
Made plans, signed cheques, whatever I'd desire,
Scribed chapters of my book, that irksome beast,
That taunts my waking hours, raises my ire.

O, that it had the will to carry on,
Could find some great reserve to fill its point,
Become the mighty weapon it once was,
And with deep blue, my purple prose anoint.

Alas! A fitful stutter, broken line,
Its final words must now be near at hand,
The reservoir's run dry, an empty shell,
Quick! Something clever for its grand last stand.

But nothing comes, the moment's past and gone.
Our joyous times are over, c'est la vie.
Into the bin you go, my faithful friend,
I'll go and buy another, after tea.

DJC-B, January 25th, 2006

2 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

Mightier than the sword.
B.

shara said...

Easier to carry, too.