Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Black Sock Policy

One strange side effect of having a Black Sock Policy - I only buy black socks - is that I can never have more than one odd sock. This simple mathematical premise has only just occurred to me but it's true; whenever I have one odd sock and I lose another, I've got a pair again. Isn't that wonderful? It only falls down when I'm down to my last sock.

I used to favour socks of all sorts but in the end they became too frustrating. It's OK if you don't mind pairing a reindeer with a frog or Dennis the Menace with a kangaroo but that's only fun for so long. That said I used to work with a guy who deliberately wore unmatched socks as a fashion statement. I asked him what he did when he opened the drawer and only found one pair left and they matched. He didn't seem to understand the question. Perhaps that's why he worked in Production and not Operations.

Today's image by chance does link to the above since it involves a pair of fours. But, and this is important, it didn't have to. No, Sir, the Age of the Tenuous Link is over. On the first level of consciousness at least.

5 comments:

Canbush said...

Hi Lee, I can see your problem. Unfortunately the black solution is not totally perfect - black does fade sightly towards dark grey after a while and socks shrink at different rates. All-in-all though it's a great improvement.

Peter Bryenton said...

Do these footnotes explain why so many engineers and technicians wear sandals without socks?
B.

Canbush said...

Peter - I think that's more to do with one of those syndromes we've talked about.

shara said...

This is why I go barefoot, frankly: I'm too lazy to wash and match socks.

Canbush said...

Blue Mama, I agree, life's too short but not so short that we can't fit in a dialogue about socks. Perhaps we ought to move on to something more serious, such as whether or not we should add fabric conditioner to the wash (or not, in your case)