Friday, January 13, 2006

Shopping - A Guide for Retailers

I've never found buying clothes an easy task seeing that many menswear stores seem to have a wimps-only purchasing policy. For instance, if I want a pair of Levi Jeans (which I sometimes do), I have to go to Canada where the men are obviously men. This is not a cheap outing and so has to be carried out under some other pretext, like a holiday or my youngest daughter's wedding*. In reality I know I'm only there for the jeans, and the chance to photograph incredibly long freight trains gliding alongside rock-strewn rivers, slipping through vast forests, their horns echoing back from the omnipresent snow-capped mountains........

Where am I?

Oh, yes. At the Touchwood Mall. I'm shopping for clothes with Monica. Obviously I'm not after anything for myself - I can't cope with that level of disappointment. Actually I’m not really shopping. I'm acting more as an accessory to the shopping. I'm providing transport, meals, opinion as to whether bum looks big in any particular garment, colour suitability (I can't stand beige, fawn or yellow) and other ancillary services.

But it's OK. To be honest, I don't mind as long as there's somewhere to sit. It amazes me how many women's clothing shops don't provide this basic necessity. Surely it's not rocket science. Sit the husband in a comfy chair, provide a paper or a decent magazine (one of the racier women's journals will do - Cosmo for instance), keep him warm or cool as required, perhaps offer a coffee. It's so simple. I'm good for a couple of hours under those conditions. Mon can browse to her heart's content and may even buy something.

Today I am ensconced in the John Lewis department store in Solihull. I've read the paper, eaten two cheese scones, advised on the clinginess of a purple skirt and found an image for today. So I'm well pleased.


A splash of red is an ongoing theme but I'm not so sure about the group of four mannequins. Odd numbers rule in image making (but not in social groups - now that's interesting). I need to adjust my perception........

Sorted - I can relax.

It's a singleton backed by a group of three. Sleep easy.

*(That's a joke, Louisa. Your wedding was beautiful - the jeans and trains were a bonus!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We only went to Canada because aisle 3 in 'High and Mighty' was booked for that date.....!