Thursday, January 05, 2006

A Dirty Dove

A couple of weeks ago I was in St Peter's Church in Winchcombe. It always surprises me how often my outings end up in churches because I have no religion nor am I ever likely to have. However that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the artistic and spiritual stimulus that a church provides and they often offer arresting images for the casual photographer.

I have to admit that St Peter's does not have the most striking interior of the Cotswold wool churches. To be honest, it's rather plain. The only thing that took my eye was an early seventeenth century wooden font-cover crowned by a dove. A very pleasant woman pointed out that I was lucky to have come on that day as the church had just been cleaned.

I think they missed a bit.

1 comment:

Peter Bryenton said...

Not the fault of the cleaning lady; spiders in these old churches simply learned to spin fast.
B.