Friday, January 20, 2006

Symmetry

I never tire of photographing windows and this is one which particularly drew me. Maybe it's the indistinct sense of what lies beyond that got my attention.

I'm not sure of the age of this window although it's set in the wall of a medieval church at Stanley Pontlarge on the edge of the Cotswold Hills. It may be a Victorian replacement of an original. Whatever, it is a design that has the feel of a country piece, that faintly derogatory term that antiques dealers use for something that didn't emanate from a master craftsman in London. The window has an oddly beguiling symmetry. At first glance the panes look haphazard but then you perceive there's a plan.

It can be very difficult to overcome the desire for symmetry if it's imprinted on your brain. I know that when I'm lighting an act, particularly a band or a solo singer, the urge to balance a bank of lights on one side by an identical bank on the other is almost overwhelming. It is something I resist, not always successfully.

4 comments:

shara said...

It took me some time to stop staring at that window like an idiot and type something. And thank you for the way you explain what you see and why you do what you do. I've got so much catching up to do and you and Peter are two of the best teachers I've stumbled across.

Canbush said...

It's great to know that someone is taking such an interest but it works both ways - both Peter and I love the way you write (and your use of colour!)

I only started this as an outlet for a creative urge (and to annoy Monica who can't get any sense out of me when I'm in blog mode). I wasn't expecting an audience. I shall try and include more of the mental process, such as it is. It won't always make sense (and probably doesn't now as my brother and I have spent the evening drinking port)

shara said...

I've heard about port. It always sounded like such a friendly drink. I imagine rain-drizzled windows, leather chairs, fireplace, books, cigars. And thank you for the compliment.

Canbush said...

You're welcome. We managed the first four on your list - short on the cigars.