Monday, January 30, 2006

Watergate

The human memory is not a reliable storage medium, prone to loss and distortion, and fettered by an unreliable read/write mechanism. How much more useful it would be if we were equipped with USB ports on the side of our heads which interfaced to external hard disk drives. I'm not sure what operating system we would use but I'm sure the old joke about Windows would hold true - every few days we would need to be knocked unconscious so that our brains could reboot.

This stream of thought was triggered by exasperation. For five days I have been reminding myself to ring up for a repeat prescription and I’ve still not remembered to do so during the restricted hours that the dispensary insists upon opening. In my defense, I have to say that this window of opportunity is so slim that stopping to sneeze or tie a shoelace up would probably take me outside it. In relation to British doctor’s surgeries, the word ‘convenience’ has no meaning (although it is a useful place to pop into to answer a call of nature if you’re caught short).


What has all this to do with today’s image of a gate and some water?

Absolutely nothing! Oh, the freedom of it all!

4 comments:

shara said...

How lovely. The gate and the freedom.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Blues Mama. It's taken several months for me to rid myself of the notion that the picture should link to the text. Now I can mix a good whinge about something with a (hopefully) pretty picture.

Hooray

shara said...

Well, you see it's my completely uneducated opinion that everything is both random and interconnected simultaneously. So the picture does have something to do with the text, it's just a matter of whether the connection is readily apparent or not. I'm sure if we looked hard enough, a pattern would make itself known.

Canbush said...

Hey up, lass, you're going all deep on me now. But you may be right.