Saturday, July 08, 2006

Blue & Orange

'One should never give a woman anything that she can't wear in the evening'.
Oscar Wilde was a master of the throwaway line and I caught this one while watching 'An Ideal Husband' this evening.

What a great idea! No more lunches, chocolates, parking, bottled water, petrol, coffee, cream teas, DVDs with Johnny Depp in them, sausages, knick-knacks. Just evening things - silk blouses, glittery shoes, sparkling gems.

Hang on a minute.

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a doughnut?

Blue and orange is a striking combination, just far enough from the complementary colour norm to make it interesting.

Also I'm a sucker for classically shaped vases with high-gloss glazes. This one is reminiscent of the early twentieth century art pottery from the Ruskin and Royal Lancastrian factories, now sadly priced beyond my reach.

4 comments:

snowsparkle said...

i just came home from visiting my sister's beach house and she was asking for paint suggestions for her living room... it's white right now and she's thinking of green. the room has a lot of sunlight anns i told her to watch the colors change as the sun moves throughout the day... there is a fair amount of warm coral (just like in your photo here) that would be totally ruined if it fell on green. and the green would reflect unflattering colors on skin tones. she looked at me as if i was crazy... somehow i think you understand what i was getting at. cheers and thanks for asking about the hefalump... so far only one suspect (an old retired crochety german codger) but no evidence yet.

Flea said...

That's a lovely picture and I like the idea of blue and orange.
Each time I go out now I try to find a photo with a splash of red, but so far no lucky.

Off topic: I asked Mum and she doesn't know the nurse's home, but knows Cotswold and Ludlow castle!

Josephine said...

Regarding the quote, oh...I don't know...I'm not so sure Wilde knew women very well.

You can't wear flowers in the evening!

Regarding the pot - so pretty.

Canbush said...

Thank you, all. The simple things are often the pleasantest on the eye, I think.

Snowsparkle - you are absolutley right about skin and green. Only recently I was advising a client to avoid using a bright green backing for a programme I was lighting, They toned it down a bit but not enough, in my opinion. Still I'm behind the camera not in front of it so it will not be me who suffers.

I await your 'splash of red' images with eager anticipation, Hannelie.

No Josephine, I suspect Wilde just liked to bask in his only cleverness with words.