Thursday, July 13, 2006

Four Trees

Occasionally Peter and I convert a BDO (Boys' Day Out) into a BEO. This usually involves adjourning to a pub either in his village or mine.

This evening we added exercise to this activity by walking a couple of miles along a stretch of the canal that's featured several times in my journal over the past couple of weeks.

The light was perfect, radiating from a cloudless sky at a low angle through the reed beds and willows. We strolled, made images, exchanged pleasantries with other walkers, fishermen, boaters, cyclists, the whole pantheon of human life that relishes a warm evening doing something by water.

We supped ale at the Fir Tree at Dunhampstead (what a great word 'sup' is, must use it more often). On the way back in the gathering gloom, I tried once more to get a satisfactory picture of the four firs at Oddingley; I've been fascinated by this row of trees for many years and the coming of digital cameras has allowed me to waste even more time pointing a lens at them. It's not even a group of three.

At the moment there's too much foliage in the way; I took this picture holding the camera above my head - no mean feat with a 400mm lens stuck on the front of it but we're made of tough stuff, we Gloucestershire folk. I think we'll return in winter when the leaves have fallen and the rushes died back. Then there'll also be the opportunity to use the reflectivity of the canal in the foreground.

6 comments:

Pauline said...

The trees are dancing! They fit so perfectly a poem I wrote I wonder if I might use this picture (proper credit given of course) with the poem on a calendar I'm making? The light is lovely, all that evening orange. The trees look as though they've been India inked on...

Peter Bryenton said...

I agree, Pauline, it reminds me of Japanese inked art.

Josephine said...

I don't know...I think you did a pretty good job with this one!

The color of the sky really makes it dramatic...sort of reminds me of a film I saw a long time ago...

"Fire in the Sky".

Canbush said...

Thank you. Lee, for taking the trouble to sort my perceptions out. It's much appreciated.

Dancing trees, I like that, good title for a book or poem.

You are very welcome to use this picture for your calendar. Would you like me to send you the original (about a 4Mb file or a smaller version of better quality than the blog)? If so, please let me have your email address. You can reach me on the one-off address of - pauline.1.pershore@spamgourmet.com

Thanks, Josephine. I don't know the film but I don't suppose you can resist a sunset skyline either!!

Flea said...

Peter I thought too it looks like some Japanse art, esp the middle one, I can see legs with puffed trousers or muscley thighs...
I love it Dave!

Canbush said...

Hannelie - you seem to have summed up the concensus. I will have to retitle it 'Muscly Thighs'