Friday, July 28, 2006

Three in the Mud

I'm on a run of threes at the moment although this might also, like yesterday's car detail, be a four; ambiguity is king.

This image again features the shoreline of the Severn Estuary. It's composed of what I call 'boot-sucking' mud and when you have size 12 (UK sizing) feet like mine, there's a lot for the primeval ooze to work on. I prefer not to give it a chance but a baking hot summer has dried up areas which would not normally support the larger XXL man. They are so tempting to walk on because, as always, the best angle for any given shot is a yard further out than it's safe to venture.

It will always be thus; lean over the parapet a touch more, stand a bit closer to the passing train, hang on to that rusting bar, brace yourself against the crumbling masonry; so many helpful ways of getting to the right position for the perfect picture.

As it happens, I was with Peter who's considerably lighter and thus ideal for testing dodgy ground.

And if anything amiss had transpired, I'd have rescued him, using a long stick or some handy rope - after I'd taken the pictures.

6 comments:

Peter Bryenton said...

FGI rules, OK?

Gargoyle said...

Love your photos. If you are looking for some advice on composition, have a look on the web for "The rule of thirds". This will give you an idea of what artists and pro photographers look for in their veiwfinders. You seem to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time to take an excellent photo! Ansel Adams was an superb landscape photographer, might be good to look at some of his work and see the techniques he used to get the most out of his lens. Don't feel disheartened when you see the shots, he used a 10"x8" rail camera for most of them. He also sometimes camped for days to get,"Just the right light". Keep up the great work, love the "Three" and "Red splash" themes.

shara said...

Dave, I love this, the subdued colours (blue and brown together, a favourite of mine) and those beautiful posts.

I laughed when I saw "after I took the picture" - I'm sure Peter knows you'd take it as quickly as you could, before he became inextricably mired in the mud.

I could hear the whole scene in my head, Peter asking politely for help and you saying, just hang on a minute, can you flail in the other direction, the light's better there..

Josephine said...

This looks a lot like the pluff mud we have here on the seacoast.

Composed of a lot of dead vegetation and sea life, it's sticky and black, and you can sink in it. And it smells of sulfur.

Does this stuff have an "aroma"?

Canbush said...

Sure does, Peter

Hi, Gargoyle. Ah, thirds, don't you just love them, horizontal, vertical. Always looks a bit edgy when you stray away from the established principles.

How would Ansel have coped with the Canon Ixus 50, I wonder. Still, as you say, stunning - a man who must have had a lot of time, patience and money, and a good eye.

Anyway thanks again for your great comments, I'll do my best.

Thanks, Bluesmama, the colours are just for you! (and Josephine).

It would have been a tricky call with Peter but I know he would have wanted to oblige with getting the right lighting. We'll be going back in November when the mud will be a bit more unforgiving.

Pluff, Josephine, what a great word. I need to go and look it up.

I'm not sure that I can remember a smell. The water is a very variable mixture of fresh and sea so I think that confuses most of the plants that would normally live on the shore. Certainly no obvious smell of seaweed, and no sulphur either.

There were considerable coal measures on both sides of the estuary at one time but nothing obvious near the surface to add to the mix.

GypsySavage said...

Three? I guess if you just count the three standing. What about the one leaning? Maybe you should title this one Three Standing - One Leaning ?

I love that you find a theme and then take photos based on that. Makes photo taking a bit more challenging. Right now my biggest challenge is getting a clear photo. My hand is not so steady and when taking photos in low light they are often not quite focused. Maybe I should carry a tripod around in the dark?

My hubby says use manual settings. Ahhh, I wish I could. But my vision is probably more blurry than what I get with auto settings. I find daylight and low light pics are not a problem. Maybe I just need a big ass flash for darker pics?