Friday, July 14, 2006

Patchwork

The fourteenth century west window of this church is not particularly fancy in terms of its glass. It was probably put in by the Victorians, those arch villains of ecclesiastical restoration. Many a church lost its ageless identity under their heavy hands and this one was is no exception.

The small panes appear to have been bought cheap from a nineteenth century discount store, perhaps a branch of Glass R Us or Kwik Kut Panes. They vary in colour, setting and quality, lending a fascinating patchwork effect to the outside world. The expressions 'fell of the back of a cart, guv' or 'got them from a mate down the boozer' might have been the words uttered as the churchwardens surveyed their intended purchase.

There aren't many old churches where you can't find something of interest picture-wise providing the light is good and, as I've said before, there are not many buildings that allow you such a free rein to pursue your strange quests for imagery and illusion. You tend not to get security bursting in on you, just little old ladies coming in to check you're not nicking the candlesticks.

Although I could not countenance the idea of organised religion or the existence of a supreme being, I can't deny the spiritual uplift that spending time in some of these buildings gives me.

It is an experience brought about physical forces, real sensations, not mystical ones or the side effects of a latent superstition. A building has an ambience which it communicates, good or ill. It is a sensation created within its confines, a product of light, darkness, sound, texture, smell, age and tradition.

No gods required.

5 comments:

Susan Lucente said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan Lucente said...

There really is just something about old church windows that appeals to me so much. While this one may be rather Walmartesque in its cheap glass, it's still a beautiful design of arches and curves. I'd love a whole book or calendar of church windows ...especially stained glass. (That's a hint to you and Peter... a future collaborative effort would be profitable I think for both of you.) :-)

Flea said...

Have you been to Adelaide, I hear it's the city of churches, I think you would enjoy visiting and photography there.
I have not been over yet.

Pauline said...

Buildings speak to us the same way everything does - through our senses and associations. I think they harbor our own energy - good or ill - and we sense it the minute we're inside its walls. I've been in some places where I feel perfectly safe and others where my skin prickles and all feelings of safety vanish...

Canbush said...

Susan - thanks for the idea. Peter and I are great ones for ideas and always grateful for suggestions. If only we actually got round to doing something with them.

Hannelie - Adelaide is on our list, possibly next year when we're going to try and frighten Lee by visiting him!

Pauline - I agree completely. I'm sensitive to the moods of buildings although, strangely, usually only the good ones. Few places give me bad vibes although Culloden Moor in Scotland is one of them.

Lee - I think you posted a picture of some of your glass a while back - it was very accomplished. I can see how it would be a very satifying pursuit