Friday, July 07, 2006

Making for Hay while the Sun Shines

As it was Peter's birthday today, the four of us decided to head off into Wales and visit the book town of Hay-On-Wye.

Firstly, however, the inner man and woman needed satisfying and that could only be achieved after a high-speed dash down the M50 to Ross-On-Wye.

For in this interesting Herefordshire town is 'Jolly Roger's Pantry', one of the best breakfast venues in the British Isles. Any place that will substitute hash browns for tomatoes has got to be in the top flight. (He's doing another food blog, I hear you say. Is eating all he ever thinks of? Well, yes, mostly). That's not my car, by the way; I wouldn't fit in it, let alone my three svelte passengers.

We then skipped across the border, avoiding the patrols by using backroads, passing through Llanthony and over the Bluff down to Hay. Tea was drunk, cake was eaten, books were bought. Next stop, Kilpeck.

Kilpeck Church is astonishing. A magical sacred site, rich in eccentric and wonderful carving, mostly dating from the 12th century, all wrought from vibrant warm sandstone. Someone less rational might even find religion here.

The day ended with a splendid meal at Scrumpy House at Much Marcle - sausage, mash and onion gravy were involved.

I took the opportunity to make an image of Peter. Not having any oils with which to portray him, I thought a reflection in oil would be an acceptable substitute - olive oil for gloss, balsamic vinegar for depth. I can't really say it's a good likeness as, despite his advancing years, he looks nowhere near as old as this photograph makes him and his head is still attached to the rest of his body. To be honest, if I was him, I would sue.

I think this one is much more flattering


7 comments:

Pauline said...

Well now, I don't know - Peter done in oil and balsamic looks quite artistic. My mouth watered at the mention of sausage, mash, and onion gravy. I remember mine being served in a bowl made of Yokshire pudding...sounds as though you had a lovely day easing Peter's way into his new year.

Peter Bryenton said...

Dorian's the name, folks.
Yes, Lee, cash evapourates in Hay's bookshops. But my library shelves have been enhanced. A good spend, with no postage required of course. Just an extra bit o'Dave's diesel on book miles.

GypsySavage said...

Great photos.... love your artistic humor.

Susan Lucente said...

Extremely creative portraiture you've done there, Dave!

Sounds like you people know how to do up a birthday. (Where were you when I needed entertaining on my birthday last Monday?) ;-)

Canbush said...

Thank' Susan. Pixie says I should have called it a 'study in oil' - wish I'd thought of that!

You need to give us more warning so that we can get the flights booked!

Canbush said...

Thanks, Gypsysavage, you are very kind

Susan Lucente said...

Ok Dave. Forwarning for next year. July 3rd. It will be my last year of being able to honestly say I am in my "30's". :-)