Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Feeling Monochrome

Some days I feel just a little bit monochrome. I don't know why that is: perhaps it's the weather; it's been infernally hot again. Draining.

I often turn my colour images to mono to see what surprises lie within the subtle gradation of tones. When I started my broadcasting career, I worked in black & white; in film, studio and outside broadcasts. Colour came as a delicious surprise and three times more effort - instead of lining up one camera tube's output, we had to fettle three into life; red, green and blue (some less fortunate colleagues in other regions had four-tube cameras; oh, how we laughed!).

Peter and I both spotted this image as we walked along the Sharpness Canal in Gloucestershire. As I took the picture I remarked that it reminded me of a Constable (the artist, not a policeman). Viewing it later on a large screen I was less convinced but, as it was shot contre-jour, it already had a strong monochrome feel. I just let my fingers plot their course around the myriad options of Photoshop.

8 comments:

Pauline said...

This is like a pencil or charcoal sketch, one where shadows take on different forms and details leap out unobscured by color. Monochrome induces a peace in me that color can't always do. Lovely!

Susan Lucente said...

I like this one best of all your canal pics, the monochrome is perfect.

Peter Bryenton said...

Let's see some of your Severn Estuary bits in mono then, please mate.

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours {;^]

shara said...

I think what I like best about this picture is that it looks timeless, or not timeless maybe, but like it could have been taken yesterday or fify years ago, or longer ago than that even. It makes me feel two things, the longing to go and the comfort of staying put. Yes, I'd have to say I'm quite taken by this picture, and you know I'm usually all about the colour, so that surprises me some. But it's nice to be surprised, especially first thing in the morning.

Canbush said...

Thanks for all your comments - you've inspired me to try out a few more of these.

You have been warned!

Canbush said...

It's all down to the lighting on this one, I reckon, Gramma

Flea said...

Goodie! I like this one also most of all the canal shots! The reflextion is beautifull.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Hannelie, I enjoyed taking it