Thursday, July 20, 2006

Through a Georgian Window (or Two)

St Mary Magdalene Church in the pretty Shropshire town of Bridgnorth was designed by Thomas Telford, a man more famous for constructing roads, bridges and canals than places of worship. It was opened in 1796.

Its interior is lit by magnicent clear glass windows in a classical Georgian style. Light floods in, creating an airy, live space, so different to the Romanesque gloom of the churches of southern France and Italy. I imagine this difference has as much to do with heat as illumination. I can rarely achieve an accepable natural-light image in the sepulchral interiors of Provence or Tuscany but at least I fail in my quest while staying cool.

5 comments:

Lever said...

Thomas Telford... a name from school days... any visual clues as to what else he constructed? :)

Pauline said...

I spent many a childhood Sunday looking out church windows, swinging my legs against the hard edge of the pew, wishing to be anywhere but where I was. My windows weren't as lovely as the ones you picture. I would have spent most of my hour of incarceration trying to figure out how to escape through the open parts.

Flea said...

Imagine being the window washer...where was I again? Row A window 5 or was it Row B window 6?

I found my splash of red...will post soon!!

Josephine said...

I love large windows like this one.

A pitty, here in the states, most people will drape curtains and blinds over any windows like this.

To keep privacy in and inquisition out.

Canbush said...

Not to hand, Lever!

Thanks, Lee, I'm sure they'd appreciate the description

I managed to avoid church except on school ceremonies and when I was captured by a great-aunt to accompany her.

Looking forward to it, Hannelie

Nothing spoils a good window like a curtain, Josephine.