Thursday, July 27, 2006

Three Splashes

Fortunately for the world at large, Peter and I do not see the same images; we have differing vision. Peter sees a lot of things I miss and he doesn't miss a lot of the things I see. We just photograph them differently.

One thing that I need to work on is attention to detail; I think this is my friend's forte. At heart I'm a landscape photographer, something that became ingrained from an early age. I even bought my ridiculously expensive 80mm - 400mm lens so that I could take compressed landscapes, like the image of the Severn Bridges I posted yesterday.

As a result of this obsession I have taken some stupendously boring pictures. It's all down to a passion for using a camera and doing so even when the light's not right, or the subject sucks. Last year I culled thousands of slides dating back to the 1960s - they were nearly all landscapes and a showing of them to unsuspecting passers-by would have resulted in the Samaritans being overwhelmed.

Recently I've tried to be more disciplined even though, with a digital camera, I don't need to worry about the expensive disappointment that accompanied my forays with film. But I still shoot tedium. I did so when Peter and I were out the other day. I’ve deleted them now but they were there – flat lighting, pictures with trains in them, ducks, I really must keep slapping my wrists.

So what is the point of this ramble? What, indeed. It's just an mild meander through the backwaters of my brain in an effort to explain why I've decided to show a detail image today for a change - it's also because Peter's slipped a couple of wide shots in recently and I'm warning him off.

So I’m posting a picture containing examples of two of my relentlessly, obsessively cultivated themes - a group of three, and a splash (or four) of red.

10 comments:

Flea said...

Fantastic!! How beautifull and cleverly done Dave!
I have loved all your photo's so far because it shows your part of the world of to me where I haven't been yet. Keep clicking!

shara said...

I like the three and the splash of red, but I really like the tall reflections, so moody looking.

Susan Lucente said...

Like the vertical.

And what's wrong with trains and ducks?

Peter Bryenton said...

Brilliant Dave: the strength is in the detail and the deceptively simple appearance, which belies the keenly spotted group of three.

Pauline said...

Now that you've all got me peering, I see two groups of four - four reflected spires, and four splashes of red. You photographers see things differently than I. My first response was, "Neat!"

Josephine said...

My eyes just popped out of head and hit the screen.

Thanks for blinding me, Dave.

Canbush said...

Thanks, Hannelie, for your wonderful comments - I shall do my best

Yes, Bluesmama, they're a bit weird and unintentional

Nothing, Susan, absolutely nothing!

Ah, Peter, not everyone can see that little group.

Would it work, Lee? I thought it was only stairs that stopped them

Pauline, you're right on one level but I was pushing the system in looking only at the reflections

Thanks, Josephine. It was an American car as well, a Corvette, I think

Lever said...

Thought it was a kettle at first, then a motorbike mudguard and dressing... works on so many levels.

Gargoyle said...

I loved this one particularly because it reminded me of the times my eye was distracted by an intriguing reflection or a play of the light, when there is something far more mundane attracting everyone else's attention! What were the people in the reflection looking at?

Canbush said...

Thanks, Lever, it reveals more after than I saw when taking it, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the comments, Gargoyle, good to meet you.

To be honest, I've no idea, perhaps they were watching this idiot photographing a car's rear.