Monday, July 24, 2006

Field of Gold

I was sitting at the computer this evening listening to Eva Cassidy's version of 'Fields of Gold', one of the most beautiful performances ever of any song. It's the opening track of her 'Songbird' album and normally I switch off after hearing it for fear of catching depression. I wasn't quite quick enough this evening and had to endure some of her more sombre renditions before racing back from cooking the bacon. The happy-clappy religious tracks have the same effect. But she had the most brilliant voice.

Anyway inspired by her vocal image I set off through my back catalogue of pictures to see what would compliment the music.

I found this view of Bredon Hill, looking south from Fladbury. It was taken a few weeks ago about 100 yards from where I live. When we moved here this field was engineered for hop-growing but doubtless the market has collapsed due to foreign competition. That or the farmer has cottoned on to a better subsidy from the EU - the whole agricultural culture relies on some sort of handout or another. If there was a subsidy for rearing earwigs (and there may be, for all I know), someone would be out there grubbing up hedgerows and destroying nesting sites in order to farm the little beasts in sterile conditions.

Anyway this isn't the field of barley required by the song but it's some sort of cereal so it will have to do. Doubtless when I took the photograph I was attracted by the tracks - I'm a bit of a sucker for tracks.

The west end of Bredon Hill, the flat bit on top, is surrounded by the ramparts of an Iron Age hill fort, occupied about 2,500 years ago. It's a good place to visit if you're energetic as the views are stunning, by Worcestershire standards, and there are NO cars - it is only accessible by foot, mountain bike, horse, camel, mule, ass, pony, earwig, etc.

There is no time of year when a trip up this hill is not rewarding. Or any hill, for that matter. Get out there now, folks, and climb (don't bother if you're in Chicago).

You know it makes sense - unlike this blog.

9 comments:

Josephine said...

Spectacular. This is just so pretty. Wow. I am trying to imagine what sort of machine could've made those tracks. It must have had a lot of space between the ground and it's belly, because it appears that only the tires left any trace.

Maybe a big, green tractor!!

Oh, I can just smell the earth. I love this.

Pauline said...

Bredon Hill! I've climbed it twice and both times it was a spectacular journey up through the sheep pasture and round through the brambles. I'm as much a sucker for hills as you are for tracks - a wonderful photo!

Flea said...

I agree with josephine, wonder how big the machine was that made those tracks.
What a beautifull photo as always and the info.

shara said...

I love but I've only heard Sting's version. I'll have to look for Eva's, I've heard a couple of her songs and liked her voice, if not always her choice of material.

Canbush said...

Josephine, thank you - there are a lot of big, green John Deere machines round here so you're probably on track

You have lived, Pauline!

Hannelie, I shall go and find the beast in question - watch this space.

Bluesmama - Eva's 'Over the Rainbow' has got some amazing notes in it - could have been sung by a boy soprano.

Lever said...

LMAO the vision of reaching the top by earwig just tickles me LOL

I love the depth in the image, the layers, strata of distance I suppose :)

Canbush said...

Reckon so, Lever, a good old-fashioned visual trick.

John Stafford said...

I've climbed it twice in muddy rain, with my boots disappearing up to the ankles. It's still good. Flowers I've never seen before, soaring buzzards, deer flashing past in the woodland towards Great Comberton.

Canbush said...

Thanks for the comment, John, good to hear from you. There are plenty of boot-sucking routes up the north side in Winter, aren't there.

Very pleased to meet you, Gramma, great vision - we'll drop round on them for tea and scones.